Monday, May 31, 2010

Catching up

So, I have been doing things, making stuff. My sewing machine is in desperate need of a service but my budget wont stretch that far so I've been using my Grandma's, honestly, it is so hard to get used to a different machine after only being on mine for 3/4 years.First up, we have this lovely setMy niece is obsessed with Mickey Mouse so her birthday gift was an obvious choice.
I used the free Lazy Day skirt pattern and hemmed the bottom instead of using ribbon. And I appliqued the black Mickey ears on a plain white t-shirt from Target. It has slightly puffy sleeves and looks nice and warm. It's funny. I tend to think that a handmade gift like this needs something else so I grabbed some pjs for her as well. Does anyone else do that? So weird. It took me a while to make this, but I didn't feel it was enough.
It's my nephew's naming day three weeks after the baby is born and I am going to Sydney that weekend too, so I had to make his quilt now, when I had time and no baby in my hands. I used this tutorial here and didn't even have to think about anything! Next time I will do my own fat thick binding though as I really prefer to have a bigger border. I hope they love it!

Then, the last thing to show off today is my baby girl's quilt. I tell you, if this child come out and is a boy I will have some great gifts for the next person I know who has a girl!

It the hexagon quilt, all finished!



I really struggled to quilt this one. I think it would have been better to hand quilt it but I couldn't do it. My tummy is too big and I wanted it to be finished before she gets here.

The Sydney trip I mentioned earlier will include a photo shoot with the gorgeous and talented Alinta, who did our wedding pics so I wanted the quilt ready for that. It has some massive gathers in the back but I am so in love with it.I hope this baby likes pink!!
The obligatory belly pic, the shadow on my wardrobe wall!

8 comments:

Claireabell said...

Love the quilts! The hexagons are gorgeous and I really love that David Walker robot fabric.

red in oz said...

Well done on all those hexagons Selina! Can't wait to see pictures of it wrapped around your new arrival.

Ravenhill said...

Wonderful work!!! Your quilts are gorgeous! I am soft on hexagons now so that one is my FAVORITE! I adore the fabrics and colors you have used - it is uncommonly beautiful!

Frogdancer said...

Wow! You HAVE been busy!

Cheryl @ a pretty cool life. said...

I just adore that hexagon quilt! I'd love to put it on my own bed :)

Elisha said...

oh.. would of loved to see your baby quilt over the weekend.. i think you done a fantastic job - from what i can see in the pics.. beautiful! and baby Pepper gorgeous..

Jodi Nelson said...

Stumbled upon your blog tonight. LOVE the hexies! They are adorable. Love the fabrics, everything. Thanks for sharing.

Little Munchkins said...

The quilt is gorgeous! I know how long hexagons can take - I still haven't progressed much with my hexagons.