Thursday, January 8, 2009

Free motion quilting

A gorgeous friend of mine who is very creative herself asked me to make a quilt for her newly born niece in India.

Obviously I said "Of course I can." She sent some fabric to me, gorgeous Farmer's Market and I got to sewing, then I looked at the pics she'd sent of what she wanted and saw the stippling on the quilt.


I quietly shat myself, then ordered a darning foot. It arrived, I practised for a while then decided to jump right in. After unpicking those two blocks (sigh) I tried again with bigger swirls.


Here, my friends is the result of my jumping right in:

I present to you Jasmine's Quilt










and the back

7 comments:

CurlyPops said...

Oh my goodness, that is gorgeous!
I have a free motion foot but I haven't tried it on a quilt. Did you have any trouble trying to keep the speed and swirl sizes even while you were doing it?

Frogdancer said...

I've signed up for a class in February, but it's quietly scaring me silly....

Melissa Antolovic said...

It looks great - I've always wanted to try the free motion quilting but am too scared I'll wreck the quilt!

Lindenwood said...

Sel, it is BEAUTIFUL. What an awesome job.

Kayscha's Quilting Corner said...

Selina - it is stunning!

Corrie said...

beautiful!

now tell me how did you find it...is all I need a free motion foot and lower my feed dogs!

I think I need to get one and just try hard at it before I go near a quilt!

your quilts look fab!

Corrie:)

13mimosa said...

I love that wrinkly look too. I know where to come for advice when my meagre quilting effort needs whatever you call that part of it (is that the actual quilting part or the whole process?)!